Become a Craft ACT: Craft + Design Intern
Applications are now open for Craft ACT's popular Intern Program for 2020. Come intern with us and support Canberra’s thriving design and craft community and gain valuable hands on experience within an arts environment.
About Craft ACT: Craft + Design Centre
Craft ACT is one of the longest continuously running visual arts membership organisations in Australia, supporting artists, craft practitioners, designers and makers at every stage of their careers. As we prepare for our 50th anniversary in 2021, our vision is to embed contemporary craft, making and design at the centre of everyday life in Australia’s capital, a global city of design.
Craft ACT has built a reputation for excellence in craft and design across our artistic programs (exhibitions, residencies, professional development), public programs (DESIGN Canberra, workshops, talks), business development (retail and online sales), community and commercial partnerships and membership.
About our internship program
We are seeking motivated people to assist with our gallery and retail team with a series of satisfying short-term placements. Applications are welcome from tertiary students, recent graduates and people with an interest in craft and design. A small number of work experience internships are available to high school students during school holidays.
Craft ACT Internships provide invaluable experience, develop strong relationships within the craft sector and help you to stay connected to the arts community. We provide references and valuable career advice to successful interns.
Successful candidates will intern for a period of 6-7 weeks (1 exhibition block). Flexible arrangements are available.
Internship block dates
- Block 1: 3 February – 21 March 2020
- Block 2: 23 March - 9 May 2020
- Block 3: 11 May - 27 June 2020
- Block 4: 29 June - 22 August 2020
- Block 5: 24 August - 17 October 2020
- Block 6: 19 October - 12 December 2020
The successful applicants will gain experience assisting in one or more of the following areas:
- Helping with installation of exhibitions including, surface preparation, artist liaison, object handling, hanging artworks, condition reporting and printed materials.
- Gaining administration and customer support experience to gallery programs and retail operations.
- Developing communication skills to support our exhibitions and retail programs including using social media, media relations, graphic design, photography and/or other marketing tools.
Understanding the value and operations of a membership organisation and how Craft ACT supports craft practitioners and designers through our artistic programs and professional development activities.
“It’s been a wonderful experience working with the people at Craft ACT. I was able to hit the ground running. There was always work to do and most importantly, someone willing to show me how. I would definitely recommend the experience to anyone interested in learning about or furthering a career in gallery management, exhibition installation or customer relations and retail” – Cassandra Layne, Craft ACT 2018/19 Intern
"The Craft ACT internship is a great opportunity to experience the day to day operations of a gallery" – Isabelle Mackay-Sim, Craft ACT 2019 Intern.
How to apply:
- send a one-page (maximum length) letter outlining your interest.
- advise us of your availability in the next 12 month (e.g. preferred maximum hours of work per week and possible commencement date)
- send a copy of your cv and the names and contacts of one referees
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight (AEST) on 15 December 2019.