Design is a powerful tool to build a better world and imagine a perfect future.
Utopia is an opportunity to reimagine the past, build a more creative and inclusive present, and boldly experiment with the future of design.
- Celebrate the Bauhaus’ 100th anniversary which brought together craft, skill and innovation and had a distinct impact on Canberra’s built environment and creative community.
- Take seriously design’s responsibility as an agent for positive change in society
- Challenge ideals of perfection
- Make visible design and designers to new audiences.
Design Canberra is calling out for submissions for its 2019 program.
There are many ways to get involved:
- Open Studios: did you know that 3,840 people attended the 2018 Open Studios program? it is one of the most successful events on the festival calendar and one that directly benefits our members. You can showcase your work, have a studio sale, hold a workshop. Without fail, you will increase your networks and customers.
- Living Rooms: this is the festival's second most popular program, with the public offered the chance to walk through private and iconic Canberra architecture. In every destination, Craft ACT makers and designers are exhibited as pop-up exhibitions. You can apply to offer your architect-designed home, or to curate a destination group exhibition.
- Exhibitions: we're calling for projects for the 2019 festival that celebrate and promote Canberra as a living design laboratory, a global city of design. Does that sound like you? Pitch your ideas.
- General ideas: got a great pitch for a Design Canberra activity? We want to hear it. We welcome proposals which align with the festival values, ambitions and aspirations including: contemporary, relevant, exploratory and authentic. Whether you are an individual maker, a collective, a cultural or educational institution, a business, a researcher or a government agency, the festival provides a platform for a multi-faceted exploration of design arts and creative industries. DESIGN Canberra is attracting more, and new, audiences each year. Proposals are welcome for: events, tours, workshops, activations, installations, design-related performance, public talks, publication launches, food and drink, online works, research.