Become a Craft ACT: Craft + Design Intern!
Applications are open for our 2019-20 Intern Program. Come, intern with us and support Canberra’s thriving design and craft community.
Craft ACT: Craft + Design Centre is recognised as a leading centre in contemporary Australian craft and design, with a vision to strengthen the dynamic link between the arts – as encompassed in the craft sector – and the broad creative industries and design sector.
We are seeking motivated people to assist with our gallery and retail team with a series of satisfying short-term placements.
Craft ACT Internships provide invaluable experience, develop strong relationships within the craft sector and help you to stay connected to the arts community. We provide references and valuable career advice to successful interns.
Successful candidates will intern for a period of 6-7 weeks (1 exhibition block). Flexible arrangements are available.
Exhibition block dates:
Block 3: 13 May – 6 July 2019
Block 4: 8 July – 31 August 2019
Block 5: 4 September – 26 October 2019
Block 6: 30 October – 21 December
The successful applicants will gain experience assisting in one or more of the following areas:
- collaborating with the team in the tasks that involve a whole exhibition block (pre-install, install and de-install).
- providing administration and customer support to gallery programs and retail operations.
- promoting our exhibitions program and retail stock using social media, media relations and/or other communication tools.
“It’s been a wonderful experience working with the people at Craft ACT & Design. I was able to hit the ground running. There was always work to do and most importantly, someone willing to show me how. I would definitely recommend the experience to anyone interested in learning about or furthering a career in gallery management, exhibition installation or customer relations and retail” – Cassandra Layne, Craft ACT 2018/19 Intern
"The CraftACT internship is a great opportunity to experience the day to day operations of a gallery" – Isabelle Mackay-Sim, Craft ACT 2019 Intern.
"The internship provided a fantastic opportunity to learn and contribute to a diverse program of works which included helping out with an exhibition installation at Tidbinbilla. The experience was one that I’ll remember for a long time especially the amazing people that make it all happen!" – Alina Jay, Craft ACT 2019 Intern.
How to apply:
- send a one-page (maximum length) letter outlining your interest.
- advise us of your availability in the next 12 month (e.g. preferred maximum hours of work per week and possible commencement date)
- send a copy of your cv and the names and contacts of one referees
- Email your application to email@example.com by midnight (AEST) on 31 March 2018.